Transform your creative talents into an enjoyable career!
You’ll start with the basics of graphic design and build your skills step by step, mastering the terms and processes that professional graphic artists use. You’ll learn the rules and standards for effective graphic design and discover strategies for creating graphics that convey just the right message, style, and tone. Learn the fundamentals of publishing and its related software applications, from conception to output. In class, you will work on a variety of projects that will cover all standard areas of print publishing - logo creation, corporate branding documents, brochures, business cards, flyers and long format documents.
Learn the Core Requirements for Graphic Design:
Desktop Publishing, Design, and Typography Topics include:
- designing with the correct typeface
- designing page layouts
- publication specific formatting techniques
- working with colour
- colour management for soft-proofing and correct monitor calibration
- prepress considerations that will ensure guaranteed results and maximize print quality
- working with printing companies, understanding print specifications and preparing "printer friendly" PDF files.
In Adobe Photoshop, you will learn how to prepare your bitmap files for maximum impact. Topics will include:
- create precise and tidy selections for isolating specific image areas or doing colour adjustments and corrections
- use masking to enable easy updates and changes at a later stage, speeding up the work turnaround period
- use the correct colour spaces to accurately preview how documents will print and control colour mode conversions
In Adobe InDesign, the focus will be on using the application's powerful capabilities for creating multi-page layouts. All aspects of the program will be covered in depth, with emphasis on:
- the essential time-saving features that enable the creation of flexible designs with technically accurate approaches to layout far superior to those available from Microsoft Word or Publisher
- effective and easily updateable text formatting via the use of paragraph and character styles
- creating templates and consistent long documents via Master Page
With Adobe Illustrator, you will learn how to leverage this powerful program to create complex vector graphics that can be used for corporate identities, short length print files as well as graphics that are incorporated into Photoshop or InDesign work.
The Graphic Design & Branding Fundamentals (GDBF) course provides successful students with a certificate.
- 100 hours of instructor led training
- 3-hour sessions
- two evenings a week (dates to be determined)
The following are admission requirements for GBDF and may not be waived by the student or the institution:
- Applicants must provide a valid photo ID or birth certificate
- Applicants must hold a high school diploma or be at least 19 years of age
- Students under the age of 19 require their parent or guardian’s signature
- Applicants must successfully pass the Basic Computer Skills Assessment
An interview and basic skills assessment prior to enrollment evaluates the potential student’s ability to succeed in the course. Please contact the administration team to schedule an appointment.
Tuition & Fees:
For information on Tuition Fees, please click here