Posted by: Ocean Networks Canada, UVic
Ocean Networks Canada (ONC) is a world-leading organization supporting ocean discovery and technological innovation. ONC is as a not-for-profit society that operates and manages innovative cabled observatories on behalf of the University of Victoria that supply continuous power and Internet connectivity to various scientific instruments located in coastal, deep-ocean, and Arctic environments. ONC’s cable arrays host hundreds of sensors distributed in, on and above the seabed along with mobile and land based assets strategically located, instruments that address key scientific and policy issues (subsea earthquakes and tsunamis, ocean acidification, marine biodiversity, etc.) within a wide range of environments.
ONC’s User Engagement Division is responsible for supporting and growing ONC’s scientific and research user communities through direct support for new and ongoing user research initiatives on the one hand, and education, development of data products and other web-based data access and visualization tools on the other. As part of the User Engagement Division, the Software Engineering group, under the guidance of its stakeholders delivers software that empowers users in accomplishing complex tasks, in dealing with data volumes of increasing size and complexity.
Date Posted: 12 May 2017
Closing Date: 18 May 2017
Expiration Date: 11 Jul 2017
How to apply:
For a detailed job description and to apply to these positions, please submit your CV and cover letter outlining your qualifications to: https://www.uvic.ca/hr/careers/index.php
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Category: Technical
Apply Now: https://www.uvic.ca/hr/careers/index.php
The Junior Software Developer will participate in the design and implementation of software components aiming at processing and publishing data from ONC instruments and controlling these instruments or the observatory infrastructure. The Developer reports to the Associate Director Software Engineering (Associate Director), with work assigned on a project basis or in an area of continuing responsibility, which will be reviewed for progress toward the stated objectives.
The Junior Developer will have a college diploma in computer science and a minimum of 1 year of development experience.
- Proven ability to write design, build, test and debug software
- Experience in object–oriented design and implementation
- Relational database management systems such as Oracle or MySQL
- Software lifecycle and Agile methodologies such as Scrum
- Web services and service-oriented architectures
- Ability to work independently and proactively within a team-oriented environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to learn new technologies
Highly desired assets:
- Familiarity with the Eclipse development environment and with tools such as Velocity and Hibernate as would be some knowledge of the messaging system.
- UNIX skills
- Bash or other scripting language
- Experience installing and configuring software packages
- ActiveMQ troubleshooting/knowledge
- Experience in scientific data processing MATLAB, R, SciPy, data visualization, statistics, time series analysis, and analytical science in general.
- Test automation
- Familiar with JUnit testing